How to create a perfect tablescape with Kate Haynes
In this designer style edit we ask Kate Haynes from EHG Home to share with us tips on creating the perfect tablescape. As a professional home stylist Kate helps home owners transform their homes using her experience in interior styling with furniture and home accessories to create beautifully curated luxury living spaces.
Kate's signature style is laid back luxury, enhancing homes with elegant accessories sourced from designers and artisan makers to bring a unique style to every home she transforms. Discover Kate's styling on instagram in her interiors projects @ehghome and at home @katehaynes.
With an emphasis on all things natural and inspired by the principles of biophilic design, homes styled by Kate combine perfectly planned rooms with an earthy aesthetic, accessorised with luxury pieces for a relaxed yet opulent look and feel.
Before we dive in to sharing Kate's tips and tablescape ideas let's start by uncovering the basic elements of creating beautiful place settings.
What is tablescaping?
Tablescaping is the art of creating a perfectly styled dining table. This can be themed for a special event such as a birthday, a holiday season such as Christmas, Easter or Halloween, a dinner party or just to enjoy casual dining at home with your table adorned with stylish tableware and accessories such as pretty plates, glasses, vases and floral arrangements to create a beautiful setting to enhance the ambiance of your dining experience.
What makes a beautiful table setting?
Here's Kate's top styling tips to create the perfect tablescape
- If you have a patterned tablecloth then pull out your favourite colours with the glassware and plates.
- If you have a plain tablecloth (you can even use a sheet) use some fabric or wallpaper or even wrapping paper as table runners to create contrast on the table.
- Ideally use round place mats as I think rectangular or square ones clash with a round plate. If you don’t have placemats then use a different colour plate as a charger or pop a smaller side plate on top of a dinner plate which helps to elevate the table with some layering to the place setting.
- Think about colours of the glassware, china, placemats, linen and napkins, then use flowers to enhance them with texture. Always lovely to pop a sprig of something, maybe a herb or as I’ve done here a leaf from the garden on a napkin. Lots to forage all year round and nothing beats natural decor!
- Any trinkets or treasures you have lying around, pop them on the table to add personality and make your table that little bit more special - mix and match what you have at home such as a vase or an ornament.
Tablescape design ideas from the Betiko Living collection
Curate a perfect tablescape design with Kate's recommendations from the Betiko Living collection
The Fiji Dinner service
The bones of any beautifully set table is the dinner ware. I love the beautiful botanical designs on dinner plates in bold tropical colours of the Fiji Dinner service. Paired with geometric patterns in hand painted porcelain it makes a stunning nature inspired setting for any table.
Domo Matt gold cutlery
Hand finished in gold the sleek contemporary design of this cutlery brings an elegant touch of luxury to a table setting for your dinner parties. Lay them on a natural linen napkin for a lovely contrast of textures on your table.
Bicos High Ball Glasses
The best thing about these glasses is that they come in so many colours! When creating a themed tablecape for special occasions being able to colour match or contrast different elements such as the plates, placemats, glassware and flowers makes a real impact.
Carola Candle Sticks
Made from recycled wood these candle holders bring a natural element to your table design. place them between a floral arrangement or two to bring even more of nature's beauty in to your home.
Twist Grey Candles
A touch of candle light makes a dinner seem all the more special and is perfect for setting the scene for a romantic evening. The neutral colour of these candles means they are easy to add to any setting.
I love the rustic gold colour of this beautiful vase. Fill with fresh flowers or this would look equally good with gold twigs on Christmas table.
Discover, design, décor at Betiko Living.